• LinkedIn
  • Join Us on Google Plus!
  • Subcribe to Our RSS Feed

Boxing returns in 2012, along with a friendly wager.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 // by REALTALK

Happy Saturday.  Happy weekend, ladies and gentlemen. Tomorrow afternoon, I will be meeting up with Mike, Jack, and CD at The Original Pancake House in Whippany. I've heard good things about that place and CD wanted to go there and try out their pancakes, so I will be heading over there to do just that tomorrow. They're only open from 7AM to 3PM, so we go there around 1PM. After what was a slow start the year 2012, there is a fight on HBO tonight.

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr fought last month on HBO, but I missed that fight. Tonight, Devon Alexander will meet Marcos Maidana in a 10 round welterweight bout in Alexander's hometown of St. Louis.  The bout should be entertaining, as Maidana's style is that of a power-punching brawler pitted against Alexander's leaky defense, boxer-puncher style.  My friend and co-worker William, who generously gave me all of those boxing DVDs when we were in classroom training in Newark, made a friendly wager with me a couple days ago. He believes Maidana is going to "whoop that ass."  I pointed out to William that Alexander has never been knocked down. The fight is being contested in Alexander's hometown. Alexander is promoted by Don King.

When Maidana fought Amir Khan in December 2010, he hurt Khan pretty badly in the 10th round and was unable to finish him off. In my opinion, Maidana would likely need a knock out to win in Alexander's backyard.  Either that, or he would have to win 10-0 with a couple of knockdowns to even have a chance of getting a decision. Therefore, William and I made a bet. The loser has to treat the winner to lunch at Dario's the next time we're in Newark or a beer at some point in Atlantic City. I replied, "I'd be willing to do both." The wager is on. We probably won't be in Newark for a while, so perhaps William feels rather safe proposing such a condition in this wager. LOL. In any case, I'm glad we have some boxing action tonight as well as in the months upcoming.

On an entirely different note:

As we all know, this is a presidential election year. The remaining GOP candidates had their 1,007th debate earlier this week in Arizona. You'd probably be suprised to know that I was watching the CNN debate on Wednesday night, which probably confirms how uneventful my Wednesday nights usually are during the week.   When the candidates were asked to individually describe themselves in one word, former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich answered, "Cheerful."
I scratched my head for a moment and chuckled at that answer from the former Speaker.