• LinkedIn
  • Join Us on Google Plus!
  • Subcribe to Our RSS Feed

Another successful Relay for Life

Monday, May 21, 2012 // by REALTALK

Over the weekend, I would say I had a pretty decent time at my fourth consecutive Relay for Life for the American Cancer Society at Sussex County Community College. We were treated to the privilege of having gorgeous weather; sunshine, high summer-like temperatures, and absolutely no rain!

Saturday was truly an action packed day, as I got up at 5:30 AM to catch my 6:05 AM train to Newark Broad Street for Saturday morning overtime. I did five hours of overtime from 8AM until 1PM. During that time, I managed to close two of my cases and submit a few cases for review. Upon getting out of work, I was eager to  dish out a severe 15-hour asswhooping to that dreadful disease called cancer in Relay for Life 2012. Therefore, I hopped onto the 1:30 PM train back to D-town so I could get home, take a quick shower, and put on my attire for the Relay.

I arrived on the campus at about 4:15 PM. Our team consisted of Mike, Beanie, and I.  Chris made an appearance for a few hours and joined us for some laps. It was nice to see Chris again. Throughout the evening, our team followed the annual tradition of doing laps around the course and buying food and snacks from some of the other teams. We also made a few Quickchek runs throughout the evening. Around 3AM, Mike and I made a run to Dunkin Donuts. There were team members handing out ice cream, Hershey kisses, and a number of other goodies to the participants who were doing their laps throughout the night. There was also some line dancing taking place up on the stage at 4AM.

Just as I promised in the days leading up to the event, I stayed up the entire night, did my laps, and hung out with the team members. As has always been the case at the Relay for Life, one can feel the energy and fully acknowledge the somber scene of the good samaritians who walked the quiet laps of remembrance during the luminaria cermony, remembering the loved ones who lost their lives to that horrible disease. 
Nonetheless, the Relay for Life has become a tradition that I have managed to fit into my schedule when the month of May comes around each year. You can rest assured there will be many more Relays involving yours truly in the years and decades to come.

Be sure to check out and enjoy some of the videos and photos that have been posted here at Realtalk.