• LinkedIn
  • Join Us on Google Plus!
  • Subcribe to Our RSS Feed

Mayweather defeats Cotto, on the evening of B-Money's five year anniversary as Miami Mike's PPV boxing observer!

Sunday, May 06, 2012 // by REALTALK

Miami Mike's Sports Zone 5.5.2012
Mayweather vs. Cotto
It was truly a pleasure returning to Miami Mike's Sports Zone last night on such a beautiful Cinco de Mayo evening of boxing. As a matter of fact, last night marked the five year anniversary of my debut appearance at that sports bar.

Exactly five years ago last night, I stumbled upon Miami Mike's (which was then known as 10 West Bistro and Sportz Bar) while searching for a bar that I could attend to watch the super fight between Floyd Mayweather and Oscar De la hoya. On May 5, 2007, I was sitting in the dining area of Miami Mike's as Mayweather won a split decision over De la hoya. That shows you how fast time goes by. Nonetheless, it is remarkable that my tenure as a PPV boxing observer at the number one sports bar in NJ now exceeds five years.

As the odds and many of the fanatics predicted, the night turned out to be Cinco de Mayweather, as Money May impressively racked up his 43rd victory by way of unanimous decision over a game Miguel Cotto. With the victory, Mayweather is now the new WBA super welterweight champion. Not every prize fighter turns out being a two-time world champion. Mr. Mayweather is a two-time super welterweight champion, which speaks volumes of the success he's had at numerous weight classes throughout his illustrious career. Congratulations to Floyd for the victory. Congratulations to Miguel for a very game effort against one of the best pound for pound (arguably the best of the 21st century) fighter in the world today.

Cotto was on top of Mayweather like white on rice, but Mayweather prevailed like a true champion. Both fighters gave a tremendous account of themselves. Although he was defeated just as his 42 predecessors were, I would say this was a nice comeback for Cotto after the punishing, cheating, plaster-fisted beat down he received from Antonio Margarito in July of 2008. Both combatants put on a great show for the fans and should be commended for doing as much. To some degree, one might say this was even a comeback for Larry Merchant, who admitted that Mayweather did in fact apologize to him for the tense post-fight interview between the two of them following the Ortiz fight last September! So I guess you could say last night was an inspirational evening all around.

The place was packed.  Mike actually opened up another room behind the bar, which I never before knew existed, where guests could sit and watch the fight. He referred to that room as the "bull pin." LOL. Although I never quite made my way back to the bull pin, I did manage to take a picture with the smoking hot ring card girl.  The photographer approached me and asked me if I would take a picture with the ring card girl. As a heterosexual man who has a keen vision for beautiful women, I did not object. Throughout the evening, as she walked around the bar with the ring card, I occasionally give her a thumbs-up or blew her a kiss. She had a lovely smile and a pretty friendly demeanor about her.

At the end of the evening, before I left, I complimented Miami Mike on his successful establishment and vowed to return again soon!